Friday, April 4, 2008

10 March 2008

Dear Family,

How goes it? I’m glad to hear all the surprises and parties and twists and turns turned out well. Congrats Willie! The priesthood is an amazing thing, and I have seen it’s very real power work in my life. You’re a good man, Stan.

Well, the weather here is starting to change. The sun is out much more often, and the wind is very much in full force. It is nice biking because the sun gets us warm, but the wind keeps us cool. A very delicate balance. Haha, sooner than later, it’s going to get way hot, but that just makes sweating feel even better -- sweating for Jesus.

This past week, I taught “skills” for district meeting. It’s the longest portion (45 min.) where we teach a skill and then practice using it. I got “Bear Testimony Frequently” from Preach My Gospel, chapter 10. So, I tried a little experiment. I gave each person a slip of paper with 2 everyday things on it (eating and sleeping, for example) and asked them to explain (teach) why one is better than the other through testimony. It was very awkward, and everyone gave up way early. Then, we read Alma 5:45-48, and then we testified about the Atonement while teaching. I cannot explain to you how real and drastic the change was in the room. Everyone did really well and it was sooo smooth. It testify that the Holy Ghost is very very real, and he testifies of truth when we bear our testimonies. If we are not testifying of something we really believe, his help will not come. Let me tell you, teaching skills in Japanese was nerve-wracking. I know that I couldn’t have taught and nobody could have learned without the help of the Spirit.

Even if we do not use eloquent words or if we stutter, if we believe, the Spirit will help. We watched “A Man Without Eloquence” about Brigham Young’s conversion story, and it just went to prove that even the most broken language/sentences (Japanese) can have a powerful impact.

Well, yeah. Speaking of broken language, that’s what English is turning into for me. I just started my third transfer in Japan, and me and my companion get a kick out of how broken our English has become. Haha. I’m still in Shimonoseki, and I’m still with Elder Moon. It’s a hoot!

The other day, we went and had dessert at a little restaurant and let me tell ya, ice cream sundaes (aka: “parfait”) are sooo expensive and small! Please take advantage of Leatherby’s on my behalf!

So, all the letters that you all have sent to the mission office are getting routed to our old address (30 min. bike ride). So, I’m not sure where/when any further letters/packages should/will go. Haha, that’s a lot of “/”’s. And it’s about as confusing as it is in my head. Haha, sorry bout that!

On other notes, my companion taught me how to juggle today. I might work on that a little. Saturday, I’m playing piano as part of a couple members’ band for the branch party. “Let it Be,” by the Beatles. Haha. Well, I am working hard for everyone back home. I am thankful for your support and love. I love you all!

Sincerely, Joey Hogge

No comments: