Tuesday, October 30, 2007

30 Oct 2007

Hello all. The mission field is great. I am constantly being reminded of how blessed I am.

So first off, a random bit of fact: I hear the deodorant and toothpaste in Japan is terrible, so that may be something to look into (wink wink).

I got Sarah's package Wednesday! Talk about bringing sunshine into my soul, having MoTab sure does it for me. I really really appreciated that Sarah!

I also got your package mom. I really appreciate it too.

So the other day, I got my triple combination in Japanese embossed with my name. It is sooo super spiffy! They put the name with the spine on the right side. I love Japanese. Flipping through a book right to left really makes my day. I am really beginning to understand it! I have read a couple verses a day, and I have definitely improved. I feel so cool. Haha, this is evidence that the MTC is getting to me. I find pleasure in the smallest things. We are sooo sooo cut off from the world here. We were thinking that if another terrorist attack happened, we wouldn't even know because no one would tell us! I hear the Rockies made it to the World Series, though. My branch president is a big baseball fan. Its a shame they were down 0-3 to the Red Sox! What an evil empire. I now like the Rockies.

Well, my companion is fine. We have our different ways of doing things. He is senior, which I think he needs. He was a Verizon salesman right before coming here, so he has a little bit of that salesman "spirit" in him. :-) We get along pretty well. Sometimes, it is much harder than others, but we just have to deal. He is very very very much from Spanish Fork. He knew of one black person at his high school. Sometimes it is a little hard trying to connect with someone who has been in the Utah bubble his whole life, but there are definitely advantages to it as well. He speaks very well. He is a really effective teacher. Between the two of us, we are probably the most fluent speakers in our district. It is great.

I saw Alan Potts yesterday! It was soooooooo good seeing him. My district happened to be taking a walk outside with our sensei, and he snuck up from behind me and got me in a big hug. I love that guy. He will soooo be an old married man when I get back. Haha, it was a really lovely surprise.

Well, I have a testimony of SYL. As a district, we have started speaking exclusively Japanese at all mealtimes and to and from meals. I think we are about ready to "level up" as my sensei often says.

It is really nice here, because we have one native speaker, and one not for our teachers. Tsuchiya Sensei is an awesome teacher. He is a crazy Japanese man. We have a whole lot of fun with him. He is taking 17 credits at BYU, and teaching there everyday as well. He is a very very busy man. But we have really set the tone to help him relax when he comes to teach us. He is majoring in linguistics! And he is also trying to pick up Icelandic just for fun. Wow. Foster Sensei is also cool. It is easier learning Japanese from someone who just had to learn Japanese a little while ago. He went to Hiroshima a couple years ago, and I hear it is sooo ridiculously pretty. He is engaged, so it is fun to bug him about that :-) I have found that when I testify, I have a much better day. Unfortunately, some days me and my companion never get around to testifying, and I feel awful. Even when we do little exercises in testifying in Japanese in class, I feel so much more happy. We testify solely in Japanese. One of us will testify, and the other will interpret. Even when we are doing testifying exercises in class, I feel loads better.

This week, we are teaching a lesson in Japanese. I figure it will actually be way easier. A lot of the time, the most simple statements have the greatest impact. Since we only really know simple statements, it should have the greatest impact. As long as we ask questions and share scriptures and constantly be testifying, the spirit will abide with us and guide our tongues.
One of the biggest ways we reach people is by showing our love for them. When they can feel that we truly care for them, they are sooo much more willing to open up and share their feelings.

Hilary -- stick with it. School and driving and friends can be stressful, but through the Lord, anything is possible!

Spencer -- I played catch the other day, and I totally thought of the good ole' days at the ballpark

Willie -- Braces stink, but they are soooo worth it.

Well, I appreciate all the love and prayers. I can definitely feel more help from the other side. It is wonderful.

Have a great week y'all!

~Elder Hogge

No comments: